The Palais Rohan de Strasbourg was built between 1732 and1742 to plans by Robert de Cotte, Principal Architect to the King, for Cardinal Armand-Gaston de Rohan-Soubise, Prince-Bishop of Strasbourg. Designed to resemble one of the great Parisian mansions, the Strasbourg's episcopal palace is one of the finest architectural creations of the 18th century in France, thanks to both the noble classical elevations of its façades and to the sumptuous interior decoration.
Built, decorated and furnished in the space of just ten years, this magnificent residence, which has remained virtually unchanged since it was built, is distinguished by its exceptional unity of style.
The city's fine arts museum the Fine Arts Museum moved into the palace in 1889, followed by the Archaelogical Museum in 1913 and the Decorative Arts Museum in 1924.
[3 out of 9 museums of your choice in the City of Strasbourg by Pass] The Musée des Beaux-Arts presents an exceptional panorama of the history of painting in Europe from the Middle Ages to 1870: Italian and Flemish primitives (Giotto, Memling); the Renaissance and Mannerism (Botticelli, Raphael); the golden age of Dutch painting and the great names of Flemish painting (Rubens, Van Dyck); Baroque, Classicism and Naturalism in the 17th and 18th centuries (Vouet, Canaletto, Goya); Romanticism and Realism in the 19th century (Corot, Courbet). (Corot, Courbet).
A walk through paintings, from the Middle Ages to the 20th century.The Fine Arts Museum was founded in 1880. Wilhelm Bode, curator in chief of the Berlin Museums, was asked to reconstitute the collections destroyed when the “Aubette” was burned down in 1870. Until 1914, Italian, Flemish and Dutch paintings were favored over French and German ones. The collections grew after 1919, under the guidance of H. Haug and his successors, with a notable increase in the number of French works. Unfortunately two disasters wreaked havoc on the palace: the building and the collections were seriously damaged when the Americans bombed the City in 1944 and the fire of 1947 destroyed several famous paintings. The priority today is given to the acquisition of French paintings ( 17th and 18th centuries), still poorly represented. The addition of the Kaufmann and Schlageter collection has drastically transformed the collections
Ouvert tous les jours sauf le mardi
De 10h à 13h et de 14h à 18h en semaine
De 10h à 18h le week-end
Fermeture le 1er janvier, Vendredi Saint, 1er mai, 1er et 11 novembre, 25 décembre. Musée fermé du 8 au 19 janvier inclus.
Public priceAdult : €7.50
Kid : Free
Price with the passAdult : Free
Kid : Free
7 March 2024 15:00
Take a journey to meet Judith, Dalila, Saint Catherine and Proserpine, all women of character in the collections.
Musée des Beaux-arts
2 place du Château
- Hearing impairment
- Mental disability
Bus : lignes 14 et 24 stop Ancienne Douane
Drop-off at the Ancienne Douane and parking spaces at the Quai au Sable. Access to the courtyard of the Palais on request.
Tam : ligne A et D stop Langstross Grand'Ruer