Lichtenberg Castle

The castle is mentioned for the first time in 1206 as being the property of the lords of Lichtenberg. It was in 1480 that the last of the Lichtenbergs, Jacques le Barbu, died. Later, around 1580 , Count Philip IV of Hanau-Lichtenberg (heir to the Lichtenbergs) asked the architect of the fortifications of Strasbourg, Daniel Specklin, to redevelop his castle into a fortress. The latter readjusts the defensive system to fight and use a new weapon: the cannon!

In 1678 , the castle was taken by the troops of Louis XIV, led by Marshal de Créqui. A large part of Alsace was at that time attached to the Kingdom of France. But the castle, which was not destroyed, was transformed into a fortress. He then monitors the new border with the strongholds of Bitche, La Petite Pierre and Phalsbourg.

During the war of 1870 , opposing the troops of Napoleon III to the Prussians, the fortress was bombed and burned. Left in ruins, it became a place for Sunday walks.

During World War II , the ruin served as a place of refuge. This is how the inhabitants of Lichtenberg and the surrounding villages came to take shelter from the bombardments.

After 1945, the inhabitants of the village naturally invest the ruins. By maintaining the premises, they organize visits and outdoor theatrical performances. They open the perspectives of the new existence of the castle.

In the early 1990s , the castle was the subject of an ambitious program of restoration and contemporary development, not only to preserve the site but also to ensure its future. Today, the Hanau-La Petite Pierre Community of Communes manages the site.

Lichtenberg Castle Tour


The 16th­century Gothic­style chapel is particularly worth a visit. The marble mausoleum is one of the most beautiful in Renaissance Alsace. A monumental stairway leads you up to the tops of the towers. From here, you can catch a glimpse of the spire of the Strasbourg Cathedral.

A tour map in three languages (French, German, English) is available at the reception desk.

Animaux acceptés

Les chiens tenus en laisse sont admis dans l’enceinte du château.

Horaires d'ouverture

Mars-Avril : du mardi au dimanche de 10h à 17h. Fermeture exceptionnelle le 29 avril.

Mai-Juin : du mardi au dimanche de 10h à 18h ainsi que les jours fériés, le château sera donc ouvert le lundi 8 mai, le jeudi 18 mai et le lundi 29 mai. Fermeture exceptionnelle le 2 mai.

Juillet-Août : 7j/7 du lundi au dimanche de 10h à 18h

Septembre-Octobre (jusqu’au 15 octobre 2023) : du mardi au dimanche de 10h à 17h. Fermeture exceptionnelle du 16 au 20 octobre.

Du 21 octobre au 5 novembre : du lundi au dimanche de 14h à 20h (horaires adaptés – Halloween au château)

Public price
Adult : €6.00
Kid : €3.50
Price with the pass
Adult : Free
Kid : Free


  • Accepted animals

  • The château's reception, shop, cafeteria, indoor exhibition areas and auditorium are accessible to people with reduced mobility thanks to level access, walkways or a staircase platform depending on the building.

Access conditions

  • The castle of Lichtenberg is located in Alsace, 60 km from Strasbourg (about 50 min), 30 km from Haguenau and Saverne (about 35 min) and 130 km from Metz, Nancy and Colmar (about 1h30). Motorway A4 towards Paris exit Hochfelden and towards Strasbourg exit Sarre-Union; follow Bouxwiller-Ingwiller-Lichtenberg.

  • Strasbourg-Sarreguemines. The nearest train stations are in Ingwiller (+ bus line TER Ingwiller - Lichtenberg) or in Wingen-sur-Moder.

Buy your dematerialized Pass online and use it immediately !

Buy the pass