Historical Museum Haguenau

A neo-Renaissance building for collections dating back to prehistory. The first collections were assembled by the City of Haguenau in the mid-19th century. These were numismatic, archaeological, decorative arts and popular arts and traditions collections. Around 1900, Xavier Nessel, mayor of Haguenau since 1871, collector of antiquities and archaeologist, proposed to give all his collections to the town, on condition that the town council would build a museum that would also house the archives and the municipal library. The neo-Renaissance building was built between 1900 and 1905.

The entrance hall features a stained glass window designed by the Alsatian artist Léo Schnug depicting the appearance of Richard the Lionheart before Emperor Henry VI, a historic event that took place in Haguenau in 1193.

Visit the Historical Museum Haguenau


Built between 1900 and 1905 in a Neo-Renaissance style, the museum houses collections that illustrate the history of the town and surrounding region, from prehistory up until modern times. A rich archaeological collection from the Bronze and Iron Ages provides information on a culture that flourished in the Forest of Haguenau. It also contains exceptional objects from the Gallo-Roman period, such as the Roman Legionnaire’s helmet. Several rooms are dedicated to the history of the town since it was founded in the 12th century. A collection of faience is a reminder that the Hannong family of ceramicists stayed in the town. The museum also has a beautiful collection of Art Nouveau and Art Deco glassware.

The museum is reminiscent of the architecture of a 16th century Rhenish town hall. In the basement, important archaeological collections are presented, among which the furniture of more than 750 Bronze and Iron Age burials from the Haguenau forest should be noted.
The Roman period is also well represented by beautiful bronze objects: legionnaire's helmet, leggings from a ceremonial armour, Gallo-Roman divinities, sandstone sculptures and numerous objects for domestic use.
The ground floor is devoted to the history of the town through charters, seals, coins, aldermen's cups, etc., from the 12th to the 16th century.
A collection of more than 80 glasses: vases, lamps and bowls, in the Art Nouveau and Art Deco styles, assembled by the collector David Henninger, bears witness to the important glass production of Eastern France.
Regional artistic production is also represented through the sculptures and ceramics of Alsatian artists such as Léon Elchinger.

Horaires d'ouverture

From 16 September to 30 June, the museum is open from Wednesday to Sunday from 2pm to 5.30pm

From 1 July to 15 September, the museum is open from Wednesday to Sunday from 10am to 12.30pm and from 1.30pm to 6pm

Haguenau's museums are closed on January 1, Easter Sunday, May 1, November 1 and December 25.

Public price
Adult : €4.00
Kid : Free
Price with the pass
Adult : Free
Kid : Free

Access conditions

  • line 1 stop Marché aux Grains

  • car park behind the museum
  • Pedestrian access
    10 minutes from the station

Buy your dematerialized Pass online and use it immediately !

Buy the pass